Tips and Tricks : VALENTINES DAY. DATE NIGHT. DONE RIGHT.
February the 14th marks the international date of celebrating love and there are so many ways to show your significant other or your best friends you love them. So, tune in to make one of these hydrating, punny watermelon bottles.
You're One In A Melon Water Bottles For Valentine's Day
DIY Materials You'll Need:
Before we jump into the instructions, the bottles we’ve used here are from Kmart. They don’t have to be overpriced to make them special.
1. Before applying any vinyl to the bottle, ensure it is thoroughly cleaned with surface cleaner or Isopropyl Alcohol. This will provide ultimate adhesion resulting in less bubbles appearing.
2. Create an artwork and let your imagination run wild. We have created this design through the use of Illustrator and InDesign.
3. It’s time to print! We’ve used the award winning Mimaki UCJV300-160 LE UV Print/Cutter to bring our designs to life. This printer delivers high speed, high-quality printing and zero drying time required due the printer’s UV capabilities. If you don’t have this printer, just make sure you are using a print/cutter machine, or you’ll spend too much time hand cutting your design.
4. Load your preferred choice of vinyl in your designated printer. In this case, we have chosen the Avery Dennison MPI 2000, it is a perfect glossy, polymeric calendered self-adhesive vinyl.
How to create a cutpath for your vector on Adobe Illustrator
Create a new artwork page in Adobe Illustrator.
Make sure when creating the file, to measure the product of your choice so it’s scaled correctly.
Download or create a vector file image. A good image sourcing site is Vectorstate.com.
Import or paste the image to the Illustrator file.
Adjust the size of the image using the top tool bar. Be sure to select the link icon, to keep the image in proportion.
Create a cut path for the artwork select > Swatches or the Swatches tab in your workspace palettes and create a new swatch. Use the drop-down menu or the New Swatch button to do this.
The following will need to be changed
Swatch Name: CutPath/CutContour
Colour Type: Spot Colour
5. When you’re satisfied with the print, you’ll need to remove the excess vinyl by weeding the negative spaces around the vector.
6. Once the weeding is completed, carefully lay a sheet of application tape on the vinyl and press down with a squeegee. This will transfer your weeded design onto the application tape. From here we grab the stainless-steel bottles, remove the graphics from the liner and use the squeegee to apply firm pressure on the tape, this will activate the vinyl adhesive making it stick on the bottle.
7. Remove application tape, re-squeegee to ensure your graphics hasn’t lifted
8. There you go! Quick and simple!
So, if you’re looking for a light romantic laugh on Valentine’s Day. You can download the PDF files ‘You’re One In A Melon’ or make your own unique designs. Hopefully these punny valentine idea can go along way and brighten your Valentine’s day.