For guide in creating a cut path, setting vinyl up in cutter and weeding click here
Tips to Create Customised Christmas Baubles
Bauble Size: 5cm
Artwork Size: 2.5cm high x 3.5cm wide
1. Create a new artwork file in Adobe Illustrator to the desired size, in our case 2.5cm x 3.5cm.
2. Select what font you wish to use on the bauble. We used Darleston, regular.
3. Once you are happy with the text, convert to outlines.
4. Create a cut path. For more information on creating a cut path, refer to our Tips on Creating a Vector File in Adobe Illustrator for Cut Graphics.
5. Save the artwork as a PDF or EPS, depending on your cutters RIP software, and copy the file to a USB.
6. Set the file up in your RIP software.
7. Insert the vinyl into the cutting machine, liner side down, adjust the pinch rollers to fit the width of the vinyl and secure the media clamps by pushing them down. We used Aslan CA23 Rose Gold.
8. Test the media before you cut the final image.
Note, there should be just enough force to leave a slight impression on the vinyl backing paper. Adjust the cutter settings, if necessary. For more information on adjusting cutter setting, refer to your machines user manual.
1. Once satisfied the media is cutting and weeding properly, cut the final artwork.
2. When finished, release the media clamps and remove your vinyl.
3. Weed your vinyl by removing the excess vinyl from around the outside of the graphic.
4. Use a weeding hook to lift and remove the excess vinyl from the inside of the graphic.
Note, the smaller the features in your graphic, the more challenging it is to weed.
5. Once the excess vinyl has been removed, apply application tape to the vinyl (we used TransferRite 6585 Medium Tack).
6. Apply some pressure and squeegee the application tape down.
7. Flip the media over so that the liner is on top and start to slowly remove the liner away from the application tape.
Note: Depending on how intricate the design is, will determine how easy the vinyl will stick to the application tape. If you find that the vinyl is stuck to the liner, apply more pressure and re-squeegee and start again.
8. Carefully position the liner and apply to the bauble. Because of the shape you will not be able to use a squeegee to apply the pressure. Instead use fingers.
9. Once you have applied pressure, carefully remove the application tape.